Support for Learning
- Mrs J. Nixon (Acting PT)
- Ms C. McCulloch (SfL teacher)
- Ms G. Harcus (SfL teacher)
- Mrs L. Lea (SfL assistant)
- Mrs C. Stevenson (SfL assistant)
- Mrs S. Thomson (SfL assistant)
The Support for Learning team aim to help every child achieve their potential during their time at Stromness Academy. We offer a range of support to our students based on their learning needs. This includes literacy and numeracy interventions, one-to-one tuition, in class support and small group teaching.
We co-ordinate the support across the school, working closely with the guidance team to ensure we get it right for every child.
Every student starting at Stromness Academy is allocated a SfL teacher. Ms Mehmi has responsibility for the students in Thorfinn and Rognavald house, with Mrs Nixon looking after the students in Magnus. We also draw on support from the wider council pupil support team and health service as needed.
- Fresh Start literacy teaching
- Shine Maths numeracy teaching
- Small group teaching for senior phase pupils
- Spelling interventions
- SEBD/Mental health group work
- Hearing loss support
- Practical helper support in vocational/technical subjects
- Autism support lessons
The SfL base is open every break and lunchtime for students to socialise/play games and catch up with SfL team.
Homework club – support from a SfL teacher in the base on a Monday and Thursday lunchtime
Lego club – Tuesday lunchtime
Last Updated on 15th January 2024 by F Sinclair